Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday Scoop and A Little Hurricane


Welcome back to this Sunday's edition of Sunday Scoop courtesy of the Teaching Trio cuties! Let's get started!

I have to…
1) Write the first draft of my capstone literature review paper. Uhm, excuse me? I am a first year teacher, first semester graduate school student, in a capstone course…does this make any sense? Anywho, my literature review is going to focus around the causes for the increase of students being diagnosed as SpEd or referred for SpEd services. I have to review 12 scholarly articles and write a 15 page paper that cohesively ties the articles together and comes up with some proposed best practices for teachers…wish me luck!
2) Get my ducks in a row for my VERY FIRST PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES EVER!!! I'm nervous, I'm excited, but I want to be hyper organized so that parents won't be so concerned with my age, and will be more impressed with my teaching.
3) Finish my unit plans for this quarter of school. I love planning and organizing my life, and having a set of unit plans just makes teaching so much easier (duh). I plan to check this off of my to-do list by Wednesday!

I hope to… 
1) Find some awesome resources for reading fluency passages for my intervention class. First grade level, focusing on consonant blends, basic sight words, basic literacy skills, anything at this point.  There isn't a large pot of resources available for the intervention teachers to pull from in regards to passages and books, so I'm extending my feelers out into the universe of TPT. Any great resources you've heard of? Let me know! 
2) Have some quality time with KDog. We've both been super busy (K with school, me with teaching), so we haven't had much time to spend together, or spend focusing on each other. I'm hoping that our schedules will die down, or we'll be able to get back into the swing of things, and make some time for each other.  Relationships aren't always easy, but I like to hope that the work is worth it in the end.

I'm happy to…
Rest, relax, and watch Scandal this weekend! Hawaii has been under a hurricane/tropical storm/flash flood warning/watch (what is the difference???) all weekend, thanks to Miss Hurricane Ana, so I've been happily laying in bed, catching up on season 4 of Scandal, and listening to the rain outside of my window.  
Hurricane Ana on the horizon on Friday after school
My baby plants aren't loving the gloomy weather, but I'm starting to see some root growth in one of the leaves I propagated before fall break! I'm such a proud plant mama.

Roots! Hooray!

Off to my first week of parent teacher conferences and half-day early releases! Happy Sunday, everyone!

xo,
post signature

3 comments :

  1. I LOVE Scandal! I hope you have a great set of conferences!

    Ashley

    teachinginbroncocountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through the link-up. Congrats on going to grad school! I did it while teaching...it's insane but definitely worth it in the end. To quote Dory, "just keep swimming" and everything will be ok.
    Enjoy your first conferences. They're nerve-wracking, but it'll be good once you get into the swing of things.
    Ryan
    The Disneyfied Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too for Scandal - I love all the twists and turns :) Being a SpEd co-ordinator over here in England, I think you will learn a lot from your essay to carry forward into your teaching which makes it a worthwhile thing. Lovely to meet you via the Sunday Scoop linky.
    Special Teaching at Pempi's Palace

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...