Friday, October 31, 2014

Five For Friday: Halloween Madness!


So nobody tells a new teacher how insane Halloween is going to be…until that day is upon you. BUT It was amazing, it was hysterical, and I survived! Here's my Five for Friday, Halloween edition!

A few weeks ago, KDog and I went to Aloun Farms in Kapolei to go pick our first pumpkin! I miss pumpkin patches and everything about Fall so much, especially since we don't have seasons in Hawaii (it's just hot, all the time…) We haven't actually carved it yet, but that's on our Halloween agenda before trick-or-treaters show up tonight.

Speaking of carving pumpkins, in Kindergarten, we learned all about pumpkins, what is inside of them, and how they grow. On Wednesday, the kinderkiddos got to watch Ms. Burkett stick her hands inside of this bad boy, make gross faces because I DO NOT LIKE SLIMY THINGS, and when they came back from lunch, our pumpkin had turned into a jack-o-lantern! Magic!

To celebrate our Halloween Monster Madness, we made Frankenstein masks! We had a little trouble figuring out how to wear the mask and where the hair went (see kiddo in first row, second from right…) but they turned out great! So scary!

For the Halloween parade at school, the Kindergarten team were a bunch of Nerds! Which is funny, because we're always the last ones to leave the school, so the costume was fitting! The kids thought we were the funniest things they had ever seen, even though they didn't really know what a nerd was...

And on an unrelated, not Halloween note, for grad school, we have to read this book. I've always been skeptical about the books they assign as "required reading," but this is definitely one I'm glad to read. Palmer talks about how in order for teachers to be truly good teachers, they HAVE to bring their full, whole selves into the classroom and show their true identities to their students. The first chapter almost had me in tears…definitely pick it up from Amazon, it was only $16 for my Kindle app! 

Hope you all have a spooktacular weekend! Yikes, that was corny...
post signature

3 comments :

  1. I love the masks (too funny) and your nerd costumes! I'll have to look into that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Kristin
    My Carolina Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love-love-love the picture of you picking a pumpkin in shorts with the beautiful sky in the background! It's so not like that here. I am from Boston and this time of year is when the cold weather creeps up. We may even get a dusting of snow tomorrow- eek! So jealous of your perpetual summer weather. I'm a new follower, I found you through Doodle Bugs link up!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous that you are in Hawaii! The nerd costumes are too cute!

    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Click here to find out what to do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...