Friday, June 7, 2013

Five for Friday!! (and more guinea pigs)


HOORAY FOR FRIDAY. I thought this day would never come. It's been a long past two days of summer training/orientation and we haven't even started curriculum planning yet (oh boy). Anyways, I'm linking up this Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday linky for the first time! I think it'll be fun to reflect back at my week, since I usually can't even remember what I had for breakfast at the end of the day. Here we go!



Monday


Presenting, her royal highness, Hazel the guinea pig! This baby bundle of joy was given to my friend and I to take care for a few days while her real owner was on a trip. Needless to say, this little thing was so adorable, and her cute looks got the best of us. She ran around all over my living room and decided that a good place to hide would be underneath my couch...so we had to corner, capture, and re-cage the tiny beast. Trust me, guinea pigs can be very quick and sneaky. 




Tuesday


I love hiking, and the views in Hawaii are gorgeous. So I woke up at 4 am to go hiking up one of the famous sunrise-viewing places on the island: Pillbox Hike in Kailua, Hawaii. It's roughly a mile hike, a little more, that is steep and rocky in some places. To put it simply, you kinda have to scale a mountain to arrive at abandoned, graffitied military bunkers, but I promise that the view is worth it. The picture above was taken around 5 am from the top of the first bunker, overlooking Lanikai and the Mokulua. 



At 5:48 am, right on cue, the sun began to peek out of the clouds. Although the hike up to the bunkers was pretty much done in the dark with the aid of flashlights, and took a little under an hour to complete, the hike back down took about 20 minutes, leaving more than enough time to get to Cinnamon's Restaurant in Kailua before the morning crowd.

Wednesday



Crafts, crafts, and more crafts!! I've wanted to make a letter for a while, but didn't know quite what I wanted to put on it. Jewels? Flowers? Photos? I opted for an array of purple and violet roses I picked up from the craft store, and after a few hours of gluing flower buds onto the wooden letter, my letter was finished! It is now resting nicely in my room alongside the note/cork board I made earlier!






Thursday

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our final two colleges.  On Thursday, my brother came back from his college trip with my parents, and proudly announced that he narrowed down his colleges to Chapman and Colorado State...so he can either be a Panther or a Ram. I told him that for fashion purposes, I look best in red and white, but he looks best in green and yellow. Only time (and scholarships) will tell which school he chooses, but I'm excited for him nonetheless. Yay for college!!!

Friday


And here begins the lesson planning. Along with 3 other teammates, I get to plan and teach 7th grade English lessons for this summer. I've never read this book, but I've heard very good things about it, so I'm pretty excited to start! We start curriculum planning next week (phew), so I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and thinking in these next few days!

Have a wonderful weekend!


xo,
post signature

7 comments :

  1. Hi! Enjoyed reading your post--your first Five for Friday! It was many moons ago that I was finishing up college and looking to head out into the teaching world, but I remember those exciting days of long hours and learning... :0) I was glad to find your new blog today and am a new follower! BTW--The Giver is a wonderful novel, that little critter is SO adorable, and how I wish I were where you are an enjoying the views! All the best to you as you finish your studies...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I just started reading The Giver today and I'm enjoying it so much! I love your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pictures. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii. The Giver is a great book. I read it in college for a children's lit class. You'll love it.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit! No time like the present :) Thanks Tammy!

      Delete
  3. I found your blog posting right next to mine on the Five for Friday Linky! I absolutely love Hawaii! I went to Oahu for winter swim team training for each of my four years of college and fell in love with the climate! We got to stay at Pearl Harbor and swam at Barber's Point for 4 hours each day. The rest of the day was ours to explore the island. I do want to go back though since it has been almost 15 and 3 kids ago :).

    Nice to meet you and I am now a follower!

    Tina Parker
    http://followingfirstgradeparker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely LOVE your blog, Tina! Thanks for stopping by, and you should definitely come back to Hawaii soon! :)

      Delete
  4. I have been reading The Giver with my honor students for years now. They absolutely love it and so do I! They love anything that will spark debate! This was the first year in 10 years that the students guessed right away about what "release" really meant!

    Enjoy!
    Carla
    Surviving Sixth Grade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...