Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Holy Halfway Through June

I think my title says it all. I mean, are we really halfway through June? ALREADY?! Where is the time going? Where is my mind?! 

Today we began lesson prep for our summer school lessons. The way this works is with one lead teacher who oversees 8 of us student teachers, who are working in pairs with 6th and 7th graders (so four pairs total, 2 pairs per grade level) to teach two different books: 6th graders have 21 Balloons, and 7th graders have The Giver. For never having read the book before, I breezed through that baby in a day. I just could not put it down! So all of this lesson prep and thinking about the culminating project got me thinking that it is currently June and I should probably jump on my "Currently..." list for this month, courtesy of one of my favorite bloggers, Farley, over at Oh' Boy 4th Grade. She is just so darn spunky and her posts are always fun to read. Here's my June Currently list...




Currently....
I'm listening to Jack Johnson's new hit "I Got You." I love Jack (Hawaii natives, woop woop!) and his music is so soothing. This tune is perfect for relaxing at the beach, eating dinner on the lanai (porch, for those of you unfamiliar with Hawaii lingo) at sunset, or taking a nap in a hammock under the palm trees. Ah, summer. If only summer could consist solely of relaxing beach naps and meals. 
I'm loving my beach days and early morning hikes! Last week, I hiked up the Lanikai Pillbox Trail and watched the sunrise. Although I had to wake up at 4 am, the view was worth it.

The Mokulua as seen from the first bunker on the Lanikai Pillbox Hike

I'm thinking that I am SO out of my element with teaching 7th grade this summer! I've only actually taught/assisted with grades from preschool to third, so I'm a little nervous about having to teach "big kids." They're going to be taller than me! I have to breathe. It'll all work out, right? Right.
I'm wanting more time and motivation to exercise. I really want to lose weight this summer so that I feel better about myself, but I'm finding it hard to make time to get in shape. Any advice? Tips? Words of wisdom? I'm all ears.
I'm needing more prep time for all of these lessons! 5 weeks, 50 minute periods, 23 chapters. Can do. In 2 days? Mmmm yes. It will get done. It must! Our team has some pretty good ideas so far, and in all honesty, we're aiming for our high-risk kids to develop a love for writing and school. If we can accomplish that, then our summer session will be successful.
Last but not least, my 3 vacation essentials are nail polish, my phone, and sunglasses. The nail polish I'm currently obsessing with is Essie's Penny Talk, shown below. 


I'm obsessed with the rose gold jewelry trend going on, and hey, who said it just had to stick to hardware? Penny Talk is like a rose gold chain, except for your fingers! It's the perfect shine and color for summer. My second vacation essential, my phone, is more like my life essential. I mean, Instagram, Facebook, email, texting...I can't leave home without my precious phone. My third but probably most important vacation essential is my tortoise shell print sunglasses I got from Target that was the feature of my Target Accessories link-up post. My eyes are extremely sensitive, and I have horrible vision as the result of way too many hours reading in the dark (yeah yeah, you were right, dad). My sunglasses provide not only protection, but also a little extra style for my comfort-first summer outfits. 

Stay tuned for more updates from seventh grade (oh goodness gracious). Students come on Friday!!!!!!!! 

Happy Wednesday! Have a wonderful rest of the week!


xo,

post signature

3 comments :

  1. That nail color is gorgeous! I love Essie polishes.

    I teach high school, and while I may be taller than some of my students I still blend in really well. Ah, the burden of looking 12. :)

    Good luck with your "big" kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the comments on CURRENTLY... how did you write on it? I downloaded the file from the linky party but for the life of me I don't know how to type on it... And yours is in PURPLE!@!! What is up with that!? That is sooo cool!!! I would love assistance...

    and I hear ya about 7th graders..that is why I teach 5th :-) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan! So after you download the file, go ahead and open it up in some sort of editing program (I just used Preview on my Mac) and insert text boxes in the different blank spaces where you want to type things! Hope that helps a little! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...