Sunday, June 2, 2013

DIY Paint Chip Memo/Cork Board

I have a habit of collecting colorful things that I think are pretty, even if they have no current use. Like paint chips. So naturally, I looked for a DIY project for my paintchip collection, and Pinterest did not disappoint. I stumbled upon Shannon's DIY Paint Chip Memo Board over at Burlap & Lace and just fell in love! I combined that with a corkboard idea that one of my housemates created during the school year, and voila! The paint chip memo/corkboard was born. I'm forever making to-do lists, so I thought this was absolutely perfect! 

Materials:
Frame with plexiglass, not actual glass
Paint chips
Tape
Corks
Hot glue
Poster board


Step 1: Gather enough corks to fill half of the frame.  I used a 16x20 frame and needed 90 full corks to cover a 16x10 space. I only wanted to use half of the cork instead of a full cork for the cork board, so I got 45 corks, soaked them in hot water for 10 minutes, cut them in half (the hot water soak makes them less crumbly), and came up with 90 cork halves!



Step 2: Cut the poster board to fit your frame and measure the halfway mark to make the memo and cork board.
Step 3: Arrange your paint chips to create your memo spaces and tape or glue onto the poster board.
Step 4: On the plexiglass, glue the corks down to create your cork board area. I learned this the hard way: the "glass" part of the frame CANNOT be actual glass, because nothing will make the cork adhere to the glass. Plexiglass, however, gets along well with hot glue, which will make your cork board-creating process a lot smoother. 
Step 5: Admire your handiwork!! 




A DIY project like this wouldn't be complete without a linkup! So this little piece of work is my contribution to Super Handmade Sunday hosted by Sarah at A Cat-Like Curiosity and boy oh boy do I plan to keep adding to this linky as often as I can! I love DIY projects and really do need to get started on tackling all of my Pinterest plans. Thank goodness for summer.

I get to adopt my friend's guinea pig Hazel for the next few days as she goes to Alaska, so be prepared for lots of little animal lovin'!!

xo,
post signature

2 comments :

  1. This is a great idea - I have seen so many uses for corks since I started this linkup. If only I drank wine ;)

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! It was a fun and pretty easy project :)

      Hope to link up again!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...