Monday, January 19, 2015

Mentoring Minds Monday


As a new teacher, I'm always looking for more tools to improve my teaching, and improve my kiddo's learning. When I was contacted by Mentoring Minds to review a few of their products, I was thrilled! Here's their company mission statement:

Our mission is to develop affordable, effective learning tools that help children think critically, giving them the skills to succeed not just in the classroom, but in life. Mentoring Minds is a national educational publisher developing proven K-12 instructional materials that encourage critical thinking for life. Our mission and commitment is to motivate children to think critically and to learn effective problem-solving skills in the classroom that will increase their success and prepare them for life in the 21st-century global marketplace.

One major thing I love about Mentoring Minds is their slogan, "Critical Thinking for Life!" Like many other teachers I know, I'm a firm believer that learning never stops, even after classroom learning does. There is always so much more to know and learn! I could go on about their wonderful mission, the fact that their products are designed by "seasoned educators," or that they are involved in the community as donors and volunteers to support national programs such as the BackPack Program, a program stemmed from Feeding America, but here are a few of my favorite resources...


Critical Thinking Strategies Guide
Mentoring Minds sent me their Critical Thinking and Differentiated Instruction Compact Guides. With the Critical Thinking Compact Guide, you get a TON (seriously, I couldn't finish reading them all) of instructional strategies to promote critical thinking and engagement at ANY grade level, as well as social studies, science, math, and reading/writing "stems" or sentence frames to use with a wide variety of lessons. 

Differentiated Instruction Guide
As a SPED teacher, I think my favorite Compact Guide has to be the Differentiate Instruction flip chart - there are so many anchor activities, brain-based strategies, tiered assignments (I swooned a little), grouping strategies, and DIFFERENTIATED ASSESSMENT techniques that I can't wait to use in my classroom. I brought this guide to school to show my SPED department chair, and she immediately ordered one for her classroom! 

Comprehensive Common Core Standards and Strategies Guide
My school had purchased their Math and ELA Common Core Standards flip chart for all teachers, and I definitely have used it while making report cards and progress reports. It's super handy, compact, and user-friendly so I'm not dealing with a lot of papers or trying to find things online while on a time crunch. This flip chart can be customized in 3 different ways: K-5 Math and ELA, K-12 ELA, and K-12 Math. I take this guide with me to my IEP meetings to show parents where their students started, and where they are going to go. It's perfect since all of the standards for K-5 are in one place, and it's super easy to read!

Mentoring Minds has so many other resources for Math, ELA, and vocabulary that are great for personal or whole school use. Check them out! Their website is one of the easier education resource websites to navigate, and their customer service is timely and so helpful. I know you'll find their resources just as helpful as I did!

**Mentoring Minds and consulting service Act Bold has sponsored this post
**However, all opinions are 100% authentically mine. Duh.
post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...